Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day in Dewey....



Today was my third morning of dropping Gabriella off at VBS and getting to spend 3 hours by myself! We drove-thru Starbucks on the way there to pick up my customary green tea and a juice box and a ham, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich (to share) for Gabriella.

After dropping her off, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a fake plant (for Joel's office) and some 'Americana' style fabric for some bulletin boards. Everything I purchased was 50% off! Yay me!

I then headed up to Dewey (which is not even 15 miles away). It seems like Bartlesville just runs right into Dewey. Their "main street" is Don Tyler Ave. and is home to quite a few antique stores.

My favorite was called Linger Longer - it was a large (air-conditioned) building with about 40 booths set up inside, as well as an old-fashioned soda fountain counter. I went in and out of all the booths there, and then visited all the other antique stores on the street. I purchased a cast iron corn bread pan. (The kind that has the mold of an ear of corn). I had been thinking about corn bread the other day....maybe that is what spurred on that purchase.


Next to one of the antique stores was a small farm market where I bought locally grown zucchini, peaches and OKRA (more on the okra later...) The farm market people told me about the new Amish Heritage Bakery down the street, so of course I had to go visit.


The bakery sells all sorts of jams, jellies, pickles, pickled things, soy candles, lotions, soaps, butter, cheese, and baked goods. I was a little puzzled because I didn't see many baked goods for a bakery...... The sales lady must have seen my puzzlement, because she explained that a fresh batch of baked goods was scheduled to arrive in about 30 minutes. The bakery is actually in Chouteau and delivers to Dewey twice a week. (I wrote down the days and times for future reference!) I did purchase a jar of bread and butter pickles and a bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies.

So....back to the OKRA! I don't eat okra much except fried, but my MIL has made an amazing dish with okra and tomatoes, so when I saw the okra... I decided to try my hand at it.


I remembered her recipe was simple; fry bacon, add onion, add okra, add tomatoes, add salt and pepper and simmer. I did call my MIL to tell her about fixing her recipe and she told me to add a spoon full of sugar to help break down the okra. I also told her I thought I would be the only one eating it because both Joel and Gabriella were very skeptical.


However.....Joel dutifully put a spoonfull on his plate and then helped himself to more. Gabriella took a taste and declared "maybe when I'm older"! What a sweet girl :)

I personally thought it was amazing, and I hope the leftovers will taste just as good...... a little worried about the texture of the okra.
Tomorrow....who knows where I will go?! But I do know I am having lunch with one of my oldest and bestest friends! (oldest meaning I've known her the longest...not that she's way older than any of my other friends...)
AND.....I'm going to attempt to make an egg custard....




3 comments:

  1. Yum. Okra! I found frozen breaded okra here and have fried it for dinner several times. Life is good!
    Love ya, Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks REALLY good! I'm not so crazy about bacon...wonder if it would taste as good with ham (or just with the veggies). :)

    Loved getting to chat with you yesterday! I miss our coffee- and lunch-dates, though! God has each of us on new adventures this year...looking forward to seeing where He will take us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks DELISH! I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete