Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bartlesville Farmer's Market




I set my alarm for 7a.m. this morning (which is pretty early for me on a Saturday morning!) so I could get to the Farmer's Market by 8:30. I was worried I wouldn't get any fresh eggs if I went too late! The Farmer's Market is downtown by the old Depot in a beautiful grassy, shaded park. There were about 15 or so vendors selling fruits, vegetables, fresh eggs, fresh and dried herbs, baked goods, flowers, iron works, fresh beef, etc. The most interesting was a young boy selling worm castings and worm tea. He gave me an informational flyer that I still need to read.


I didn't buy too many things as I have fresh tomatoes, zucchini, peaches, and cucumbers at home. I did find my fresh eggs (I bought a dozen of the sweetest, little brown eggs) and it was nice to discover two vendors that supply them. I also was told of some other places to get fresh eggs as well. I bought a bunch of lovely carrots that smelled......like carrots! I don't know how else to describe it, I don't know that I have ever smelled carrots like that before......:)




I bought a loaf of sourdough bread from one lady and then bought a "bread making kit" from another. The kit came with all the ingredients and the recipe necessary to make Italian Herb bread. What a great idea! She dries her own herbs and puts them in a packet, mixes all the flour, salt, baking soda, etc into a big baggie, includes a packet of yeast and Voila! a bread making kit. I can't wait to try my hand at making the bread.


I also bought some peppers. I was looking at some green peppers, when the vendor asked me if I had ever tried purple peppers. He gave me a sample of a purple pepper and it was very good. I now have something new to add to my cooking/eating repetoire. After tasting the pepper, I was happy to see a booth making fresh lemonade and limeaids. I bought a small limeaid and then wished it was a large. Yum!!


I only took a few pictures as I was having a hard time juggling my wallet, bag of produce and a camera. Don't worry.... I am sure I will go back many more times!!


After a brunch of cinnamon rolls, bacon and fresh scrambled eggs, we all headed to Tulsa, where Grammy and Grandpa babysat Gabriella so Joel and I could go catch a matinee movie. We then headed to dinner at Goldie's. Gabriella got some great snuggle time with Grandpa.







No comments:

Post a Comment